For more than 40 years, East West Bank has served as a pathway to success. With over 130 locations across the U.S. and Greater China, we are the premier financial bridge between the East and West. Our teams of experienced, multi-cultural professionals help guide businesses and community members on both sides of the Pacific looking to explore new markets and create new opportunities. And our sustained growth and expertise in industries like real estate, entertainment and media, private equity and venture capital, high-tech and aviation help build sustainable businesses and expand our employees’ potential for career advancement.
Headquartered in California, East West Bank (Nasdaq: EWBC) is a top performing commercial bank with an exclusive focus on the U.S. and Greater China markets. With assets of $37.7 billion, we’re ranked among the 30 largest banks in the United States and currently top 5 in “America’s 100 Best Banks” by Forbes, a list where we've consistently been in the top 15 since 2010. With a strong foundation, an enterprising spirit and a commitment to absolute integrity, East West Bank gives people the confidence to reach further.
As East West Bank expands to meet the needs of a broader base of consumers, we’re focused on going deep to rethink every element of the Digital Banking experience specifically tailored to our customers that have social and economic ties in the two largest economies of the world – US and China. To that end, we are launching a new digital startup in the heart of Silicon Valley where the talent pools and ecosystem of partners are. Our mission is to create a unique set of digital capabilities to revolutionize every day banking, targeting the needs of the globally connected citizens.
As someone who provides leadership for Digital Banking, your duties (not limited to) will include:
- Digital Fraud Leader reporting to the Head of the Consumer Bank, and acting as the point of contact for operational risk and Regulatory and Compliance matters
- Single point of contact for second line and third line functions
- Lead the implementation and ongoing oversight of the enterprise first line of defense framework for the Digital Bank
- During the build phase of the new Digital Bank:
- Create a roadmap to set-up the Digital Banking Risk Management Function (including but not limited to KYC/AML, Regulatory, Fraud and Customer and Identity Management)
- Work with Head of the Risk for East West Bank, the Head of the Consumer Business and the COO of the Digital Bank to develop Risk Management Frameworks
- Drive the development of the business requirements for Risk Management for the full suite of consumer and small business banking products
- Build the team and the organization over time
- Create robust and automated processes and controls and create/update procedures and policies
- Incorporate the latest innovation and global best practices, with specific focus on our target customer segments (Greater China including students, young professionals, small-business owners, affluent, HENRYs, high-asset immigrants, etc.)
- Build detection capabilities using advanced analytics, and establishing and maintaining an analytical and governance framework that enables the ongoing evaluation of fraud prevention controls and decision making
- Develop execution plan and deliver against the business timeline
- On an ongoing basis:
- Support the identification and assessment of risks utilizing the appropriate risk assessment infrastructure (RCSA, SOX etc.)
- Undertake gap analysis and stress testing of existing processes and procedures
- Support the design and execution of effective controls within the Digital Bank, including documentation and control monitoring
- Monitor and track Digital Bank risks (including but not limited to KYC/AML, Regulatory, Fraud and Customer and Identity Management) and ensures timely execution of remediation plans. Also supports the management and timely remediation of issues / findings (Regulatory, Audit and Compliance)
- Maintain functional-level reports and dashboards (KPI, KRIs)
- Facilitate a forum for discussion of risk profile and risk management activities with the Head of the Consumer Bank and the COO of the Digital Bank
- Ensure that Digital Banking Operations resources have the knowledge and skills to implement risk management practices and controls for their relevant processes, including preparing and conducting trainings as needed.
- Provide a conduit to escalate risks requiring senior management review within Digital Banking Operations
- Identify and monitor timely implementation of regulatory changes, emerging risks and escalates through the appropriate channels
- Provide guidance and advice to senior leader concerning risks and risk management practices
- Serve as the liaison for internal audits and external examinations.
- 15+ years of experience in Risk, Regulatory and Compliance functions in a bank, with expertise in managing fraud in a high-velocity transactions business (e.g. credit card)
- At least 5 years of recent experience in leading those functions for digital banking with accountability for outcomes and metrics related to risk-management
- Demonstrated technical writing ability, including policies, procedures, and training material.
- Excellent operational execution skills
- Proven organizational skills – capable of managing multiple tasks and deadlines with timely responses and resolutions
- Core understanding of regulatory examination process, remediation efforts, and regulatory change process.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision, adapt and adjust to changing work priorities and to multitask
- Experience with conducting risk and control assessments within operations
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills at all management levels
- Must be a self-starter with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Demonstrates sound judgement and strong analytical skills
- Must possess keen attention to detail
- Must be up to date in evolving regulatory requirements globally